Thornley Groves Estate Agents have 9 branches and they mainly list properties in WA14, WA15, M2, M4, M1, M33, M3 and M27. Over the last 6 months, they've listed 242 properties, with an average time to sale of 15 weeks.
Avoid using Thornley Groves if possible. They are attempting to force out a model tenant after an administrative error which they are refusing to acknowledge or rectify. This is after leaving him without a fully functioning boiler for two months, and after he found them two new tenants to share with him at short notice.
I have been extremely disappointed to hear about Thornley Groves' recent unprofessional and potentially illegal conduct. They have threatened to illegally evict a tenant (someone I know) during the nationwide eviction ban. They left this tenant without a functioning boiler for two months, and they have not completed numerous repairs. Now they are attempting to evict him based on an administrative error they are unwilling to rectify. Shocking.
It’s clear to see why this company has such a low rating.
Even though I knew of bad experiences for tenants and ridiculously high fees, I decided to view a couple of flats with them regardless.
Desperate after being beaten to countless properties for weeks on end, the girl I spoke with on the phone promised me I would be the first viewing.
I was never told they had rented the first property out- they never called to cancel.
The second was rented out and explained to me over text by telling me the property was taken.
Apparently another colleague had decided to take someone else in first.
I had taken time off work.
Disgraceful agency, landlords and tenants should avoid at all costs.
During my 3 year lease with this agency it became very apparent that they couldn't care less about customer service, their tenants or the properties they manage..They refuse to respond to emails about the flat needing repairs and maintenance even though they promised to send repair men multiple times.
They have no problem leaving flats fall into disrepair over months or even years despite warnings from tenants. Landlords should be very wary of using them as the properties will suffer.
At the beginning of the tenancy, the flat was messy and as expected with a building over 150 years old, there was multiple cracks in walls and the ceiling. These cracks weren't mentioned in their check-in inventory (the entire property was described as "in perfect condition" which was a complete fabrication of the truth), but we filled out an amended inventory will notes and comments detailing everything they missed.
At the end of the tenancy they told us that they never received any amended inventory and tried to bill us over £900 for renovating the entire property. They also tried to blame us for the cracks in the walls and ceilings saying we had damaged the property that were so clearly due to the building being over 150 years old.
We got the apartment professionally cleaned for £200 before we left. It was in a much better condition that what we received. They said that it wasn't good enough and charged us another £250 for another professional clean a few days later. That is absolutely scandalous.
They put on a good show when you're interested in renting, but once you've signed the contract they just couldn't care less.Untrustworthy and deceitful, avoid at all costs!
Overall a good experience. We've rented a home in the city center trough Thornley Groves and the overall experience was good. communication could be better at times, but if you stick to emails, they reply fairly quickly and are generally helpful. Make sure to read and follow the contract that you're signing, also make sure you check and make any comments you think are relevant at the checkin inventory and you'll be fine.
Truly disgusted that this estate agent have served an eviction notice to someone I know during a global pandemic and national eviction ban. I won’t be using their services in future and can not recommend them to others due to their lack of flexibility and inability to treat tenants fairly in the face of simple clerical errors that could easily be rectified.
Shocking estate agents. Thornley Groves are attempting to evict myself and my two housemates during A GLOBAL PANDEMIC and originally tried to kick us out during a GOVERNMENT BAN ON EVICTIONS. They do not care about renters at all, just their money. They blame their incompetence on a third party to shift blame but their negligence has been evident from the off.
Issues at the property have not been addressed over the past year leaving tenants without hot water FOR TWO MONTHS and a potential instance of LEGIONELLA was not investigated putting tenants health at risk. Not only this, the tenants were expected to get by during winter with 3 radiators out of use.
I could go on, but suffice to say they are utterly incompetent, poorly managed and lack any form of decency or morality - they only care about the money they take from renters.
Avoid at all costs!!
**AVOID AT ALL COSTS**
- Wholly incompetent team - none of which who can carry out their jobs properly. They can't even calculate extra rent correctly and will charge you for their mistakes.
- Don't even bother having hopes that anything will get fixed. They employ unreliable cowboys who don't turn up to do the job, and when they finally do turn up (after extensive chasing!) they don't carry out work properly.
- LANDLORDS - avoid - they will charge you for work that is never carried out. They lose keys on check in and don't even check if fobs/keys are in order before handing out to new tenants. They will unnecessarily charge you for repairs which aren't necessary and employ people who are unreliable, and quite clearly, do not know how to do the jobs they are instructed to do. Wasted overpriced labour that they will charge YOU for. Note that other letting agents have much cheaper call out charges.
- TENANTS- don't even bother cleaning the flat on check out. No matter how immaculately you leave the flat, they will always carry out a clean regardless. They charge you for damage that present on move in and they deliberately omit this on the check in inventory. Naturally, you will oversee these things as they do not seem obvious and don't pose any significant problems at the time. You will be astonished by the difference between the low resolution of move in photos vs the high resolution of check out photos. This is where they get you - SO BEWARE. They will charge you for removal of items which were present on check in but their staff failed to notice! They also don't know the difference between wear and tear and cleanliness - a bit worrying no?!
- Staff are cluless, unhelpful and some are even rude - especially the managers who are defensive about the poor quality team they employ. I think there's a reason why they have a 2 star rating on google!? And also, good luck with even trying to get through to anyone on the phone once you're renting and have problems! You have no chance. Don't even bother leaving voicemails because no one will ever call you back.
SUMMARY: THERE ARE MUCH BETTER LETTING AGENTS OUT THERE.
Having dealt with them from both sides, I can honestly say this is the WORST COMPANY to use and I would AVOID at all costs. Problems aren't even a one off - exactly same experience every time they are contacted. I'm sure many others would agree judging by the comments on this thread. Definitely not worth the time
or stress. You're better off using other letting agents with experienced staff who can actually do their job properly. There's lots of these in Manchester so look around.
We called to view a property that was for sale in Urmston, we are cash buyers.
We gave all of our contact details and nobody bothered to call us back for a viewing, no call, no email and no sms message.
They did the same to my mum too, next time we'll give an English sounding name, perhaps then they'll bother calling us back.