heart home facebook-with-circle linkedin-with-circle twitter-with-circle Rectangle-70 search Path-2 icon Star Group-10 Group-11 Group-12


Choosing the Right Conveyancer


Choosing the right conveyancer or solicitor is just as important as finding the right estate agent. Your choice should be based on:

  • your location - it’s always best to use a local solicitor or conveyancer if possible. They’ll know about any developments or arrangements that are unique to your area, which goes towards ensuring your sale goes smoothly.
  • if you’re getting a mortgage - some lenders have preference regarding which supplier they work with. Ask what panels they are on or even ask your bank what professionals they may recommend.
  • their experience - some solicitors have more conveyancing experience than others so ask for details on their recent sales.

Should I choose a conveyancer or a solicitor?

You can worth with either a conveyancer or a solicitor – both are qualified to do the job. Let’s run through the differences.


All solicitors are fully qualified to do conveyancing but not all have a great deal of experience. If you do go down this route, you’re always better to look for one that specialises in property transactions.

The main benefit of choosing a solicitor is their ability to deal with any complex legal issues that may arise. This is also why solicitors are generally more expensive than conveyancers.

Here's what you need to look out for:

  • The conveyancing solicitor that you choose to act on your behalf must be regulated and insured, so that you're protected if you discover any major legal defects following completion of the sale.
  • Solicitors are regulated by the Solicitors Regulatory Authority – if your solicitor makes any mistakes you can complain to the Authority and seek compensation via their indemnity insurance.
  • You should also check that they're a member of the Law Society of England and Wales or Law Society of Scotland.


Conveyancers are property specialists but many aren’t able to deal with complex legal matters.

Here's what you need to look out for:

  • By law, your chosen conveyancer must be regulated and insured so that you will be protected if any major legal issues arise following the completion of the sale. As with all legal professionals, you’re within your rights to make a complaint to the Solicitors Regulatory Authority who will assess your complaint and issue compensation in successful cases.
  • They can be a member of the Law Society’s Conveyancing Quality Scheme, and must be members of the Council for Licensed Conveyancers.

  • Regardless of whether you choose a solicitor or conveyancer, be sure to determine that they have a good reputation and track record for service. There’s nothing more frustrating or damaging to a sale than bad communication.

    When should I get a solicitor or conveyancer involved?

    The best time to get a solicitor or conveyancer involved is around the time you choose your estate agent. Your conveyancer won’t step in until a formal offer is made but it’s handy to have your selling team in place and on the same page from the very start.

    Preparation and planning can do a lot to speed up the conveyancing process. There are several standard forms and pieces of information that every conveyancer will need from you to get the ball rolling. Finding and filling out the likes of a Property Information form (TA6) and a Fittings and Contents form (TA10) can put you ahead and help move things along nicely.

Next Up

How Does Conveyancing Work?
As seen in
GetAgent was featured in the Evening Standard
GetAgent was featured in the The Times
GetAgent's TV ad aired on Channel 4'
GetAgent was featured in the Telegraph
GetAgent was featured in the Guardian