• Compare agents
  • Online valuation
  • Explore my area
  • Home toolkit
  • News & guides
  • Estate agents by area
  • Sold house prices by area
Estate agents by area
Search by Location or Name
  • Selling guides
  • Estate agent guides
  • Mortgage advice
  • Conveyancing guides
  • Property news
  • See All News & Guides
Sign in
Agent shortlist
© GetAgent Limited 2024
  1. Blog
  2. House survey types - Which do you need?
Home buying tips & advice
11 February 2022

House survey types - Which do you need?

Sam Edwards
Senior Writer & Researcher

Table of contents

  1. 1. What is a house survey?
  2. 2. What does a surveyor do when buying a house?
  3. 3. Do I need a survey when buying a house?
  4. 4. What is a residential surveyor?
  5. 5. What types of house survey are there?
  6. 6. How much should I spend on a house survey?
  7. 7. Which type of house survey do I need?
  8. 8. Do I need a full structural survey?
  9. 9. What type of survey do I need for a flat?
  10. 10. When should I get a survey done?
  11. 11. Three top tips for picking the best surveyor
  12. 12. FAQs

For most people buying a home, house surveys are a big part of the process. Conveyancing solicitors nearly always advise homebuyers to order a house survey before they progress to the exchange of contracts. But just what are house surveys, and what makes them so important?

What is a house survey?

A house survey is a check carried out by an expert into the condition or value of a property. There are several types of survey, but all involve a house inspection by a surveying expert, who then summarises their findings in an official report.

Normally a survey report includes the following:

  • Background on the property, and information for any legal advisors dealing with it
  • Information about how the property was built, and the condition of its structure
  • Any potential health and safety issues. For example: asbestos, or radon gas

Usually, you get a survey done as part of the homebuying process to ensure you don’t get any nasty surprises about the property you're purchasing.

What does a surveyor do when buying a house?

When you order a house survey, a surveyor will inspect the property and make a report based on their findings. They will tell you if there are any structural issues in the property, indicating if any repairs or alterations are needed. Some surveyors are more thorough than others based on the type of survey you order.

Do I need a survey when buying a house?

You don't have to get a house survey done, but most home buyers will get one. Many mortgage providers often require surveys to be completed before a loan is taken out. But that’s not the only reason you should care about surveys. They arm you with information about your property, and put you in a better position to decide if the house is right for you. Depending on their results, they may even help you negotiate a better deal. Better still, surveys can also help you budget for any work that might need doing once you move in.

What is a residential surveyor?

'Surveyor' is the name given to the experts that conduct property surveys. A residential surveyor is simply an expert who specialises in house surveys - rather than say, surveying shops or warehouses.

In order to become a house surveyor you usually have to complete a university degree, or vocational diploma in surveying, before specialising in residential properties. You then have to work for a firm for at least 2 years, and take an 'Assessment of Professional Competence' before getting your RICS (Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors) certification and becoming a fully qualified residential surveyor.

All in all it can take four or five years to fully train up to be a house surveyor.

Surveyors are accredited by the Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors, or Sava, the School of Surveying (or both). Look out for these accreditations when picking who to work with.

What types of house survey are there?

There are four main types of house survey. They each cover different things, depending on what type of property you're buying, and what you're looking to get out of it.

Valuation survey

A valuation survey is the most basic type of property survey. It's most commonly used by mortgage lenders to check that the property you're buying is worth the loan you're asking for.

Often these valuations don't even require a visit to the house, which has led to them being referred to as 'desktop' or 'drive-by' valuations. Assessors will look at the property's history, location, size, and the local market to get a general estimate of its value.

This type of 'survey' isn't technically a house survey, despite what the name suggests. It won't provide any details about the property's condition, nor will they give you insight into any problems that may devalue the property - like damp or subsidence.

What does a valuation survey cover?
  • Surveyors take around 15 - 30 minutes to examine the property.
  • They will look for defects that affect the property’s value.
  • They will also check the prices of similar sold properties in the area.
  • They will then make an assessment of the property’s market value and confirm key details with the lender.

Read more about mortgage valuations here.

Condition Report (RICS Level One)

A Condition Report is the cheapest survey offered by surveyors. As the name suggests it's designed to provide insight into the condition of the property you're looking to buy.

A surveyor will undertake a non-intrusive walk-through of the property, and use traffic light style ratings to report on its condition. Anything that needs to be fixed immediately will be labelled red. Anything that's in good condition will be labelled green.

As a Condition Report is a non-intrusive survey, it's unlikely to include any details of hidden structural problems, which usually require examining in attics, underfloors, and drilling into walls.

This type of survey is best for newer properties, and 'conventional' homes (like a standard flat or house - rather than a castle, or a thatched roof house).

The survey should take less than an hour to complete, and you're likely to get the surveyor's report within 5 days.

See how much a condition report costs and what it covers in our guide

Homebuyer Report (RICS Level Two or Sava)

If you're looking for something a little more comprehensive, a Homebuyer report includes everything in the Condition Report, as well as a market valuation and an estimate of how much it would cost to completely rebuild your property if it was destroyed.

In the Homebuyer report, you'll get specific advice on any property defects that may affect your new home's value. For example, the estimated cost of repairs or ongoing maintenance. This type of survey also highlights any major problems. These could be things like subsidence, or anything that doesn't meet current building regulation standards.

Similarly to the Condition Report, a Homebuyer report is non-intrusive, so will only identify 'surface-level' issues. But, it is more comprehensive, usually taking between 2-4 hours to complete.

According to RICS this is the most popular home buying survey option, and is ideal for properties built in the last 100 years.

Sava have a version of the homebuyer report too, which they offer as a 'plain English, jargon-free report on the property's condition'. Their reports include photographs to help explain more complicated aspects of the report, and they'll also flag up any legal questions your conveyancer should check out for you.

See how much a homebuyer report costs and what it covers in our guide

Structural Survey (RICS Level Three)

A Structural, or RICS Level Three building survey, is the most comprehensive property survey available for home buyers. It includes all the information in the other home buyers surveys, but is also intrusive.

This means the surveyor will get into all the nooks and crannies of the house. They'll lift up floorboards, explore attics and cellars, take a detailed look at the garden, and potentially even drill small holes into the walls. This allows them to get a really full picture of the structural condition of the house, and identify any hidden but insidious problems you should know about.

You'll get a detailed report of everything, along with an estimation of any problem's impact on the property's safety and value.

This type of building survey can take up to a whole day to complete - depending on the size of the property - and you should receive the full report within 10 days.

This type of survey is ideal for very old or unusual properties, or if you have a particular concern about the building's structural condition.

See how much a structural survey costs and what it covers in our guide

New build - Snagging Survey

If you're buying a house that's just been built, it may feel unnecessary to have a full investigation into the condition of the property. This is where you might consider a 'snagging survey'.

A snagging property survey is specifically designed for new build properties. It covers everything from small cosmetic issues, to structural problems.

The report from this type of survey includes expert commentary on the property - from the sort of walls it has, to the type of window glazing that's been used.

See how much a snagging survey costs and what it covers in our guide

How much should I spend on a house survey?

House surveys vary considerably in cost, depending on the type, location and size of the property.

Survey typeAverage survey costSuitable for
Condition Report (RICS Level 1)£200 - £250For conventional properties in good condition and less than five years old.
Homebuyer Report (RICS Level 2)£400 - £600For modern properties in reasonable condition.
Home Condition Survey (Sava)£400 - £600For modern properties in reasonable condition.
Structural Survey (RICS Level 3)£1000 - £2000For very old, unusual or rundown properties.
Snagging Survey>£300For new build properties.

You can read our full guide on survey costs here

Which type of house survey do I need?

When it comes to house surveys, there's no one size fits all and you need to pick the right survey for your needs. The type of building survey you choose will depend on what kind of property you're buying and how confident you are about the state it's currently in.

There's no point paying for a full on structural survey, if you're buying a newly built leasehold flat. Just as there's no point getting a snagging survey on a listed, period property.

According to RICS the most popular builders survey is the Homebuyer Report - a mid-range, non-intrusive survey. If you are buying an older house, or plan to undertake extensive works after you move in, we'd recommend a full, intrusive structural survey. If you are confident about the state of the property, or you're buying a new flat, a less comprehensive survey would likely be more appropriate.

We would always recommend getting the most comprehensive survey appropriate to your needs. Although survey fees may seem like an extra cost that you can avoid, the findings of surveys can actually save you huge amounts of money.

On the one hand, if a survey finds large structural issues, you will be able to make a more informed decision about whether to proceed with the purchase.

On the other hand, any problems you find in the survey can be used as a negotiating tool. If your surveyor recommends repairs worth around £10,000, you are in a good position to negotiate this cost off the property sale price. You could also request that the home seller fixes the problem before you move in.

A £600 survey could therefore save you thousands of pounds. It's definitely worth it.

Do I need a full structural survey?

You should get a full structural survey if the property you’re buying is older or run-down, or if you’re planning to make extensive developments once you move in.

What type of survey do I need for a flat?

As with any property, the type of survey you need depends on the age of the flat. If the flat is fairly modern, we recommend getting a Homebuyer Report (RICS Level 2). However, if the flat is old, a Structural Survey (RICS Level 3) would be more appropriate.

When should I get a survey done?

The best time to arrange a building survey is once your offer has been accepted, but before all the legal details have been negotiated. This means if anything large or unexpected comes up you're not locked into the sale, and you can use the findings of the survey as a negotiating tool.

If you're buying a new build, the timing for surveys is a little different:

  • If the new build you're buying is built and ready, you should carry out a survey before exchange
  • If you're buying the property 'off plan', try and carry out the survey pre-completion. This will give you more negotiating power to get any problems fixed
  • If you're unable to gain access to the site until completion, arrange for a surveyor to visit as soon as possible after you get the keys

If in doubt, your conveyancer will be able to provide advice about your rights and the best time to arrange a survey. If you're purchasing a new build (particularly if you're purchasing 'off plan') we'd recommend finding a conveyancer with specific expertise with these type of properties.

For advice on how to find the best conveyancer for you check out this guide.

Three top tips for picking the best surveyor

1 - Ask questions

Start asking questions before you even pick your surveyor. When you're getting quotes ask things like:

  • What kind of surveys do you offer?
  • What is your local and technical knowledge like?
  • What will or won't be included in your inspection, report format and delivery? - you can even request example reports
  • How much notice will you need to complete the survey? (it can be useful to have some preferred dates to hand)
  • How will you discuss the findings with me?

Don't feel afraid to ask questions during and after the survey too. Some surveyors will let you walk around with them, and will discuss their findings with you in detail. At the end of the day, it's going to be your home, so you should understand everything.

2 - Look out for specific expertise

Think about what you're looking to get out of your house survey, and what expertise might facilitate the best results:

  • Local conveyancers will have a better grasp on market rates, and particular issues in the area. For example: flood risks, or conservation area borders.
  • Some surveyors specialise in particular types of properties, like: castles, thatched roof homes, or new developments. If your new house isn't 'conventional', consider enlisting the help of one of these experts.

3 - Don't feel pressured to use your lender's surveyor

Your mortgage lender might suggest using their preferred surveyor. But, don't feel obliged if you don't think they are the best option for you. Your lender is likely to get a referral reward for recommending you, so you may not end up being offered the best price for the survey. And, if any problems come up, the lender might down value your property, and offer a smaller mortgage on it.

We'd recommend shopping around before making your decision.


How long does it take to get house survey results?

In short, it depends. Some surveyors, if they aren’t busy, can produce a report with your survey results within 24 hours. However, it’s likely to take a couple of weeks minimum.

Does an estate agent need a copy of a survey from a buyer?

No, an estate agent does not need a copy of the survey from the buyer. The seller does not have rights over the contents of a survey report unless the buyer chooses to disclose them.

How long does a house sale take after the survey?

On average, it will take ten weeks for the sale to complete from when the survey has been completed and received.

Does the seller get a copy of the survey?

No, the seller does not receive a copy of the survey unless the buyer wishes to disclose the information with them.

Thinking about
selling your home?

Picking the right estate agent is vital for a successful sale. GetAgent makes choosing simple. Discover the best performing agents in your area.

  • Free
  • Data-driven
  • No obligation

Thinking about
selling your home?

Picking the right estate agent is vital for a successful sale. GetAgent makes choosing simple. Discover the best performing agents in your area.

  • Free
  • Data-driven
  • No obligation

Ready to compare agents?

It takes 2 minutes. 100% free. No obligation.

Related posts
What does 'offers over' mean?
What does 'offers over' mean?
Selling Tips
What does 'offers over' mean?
If you've ever browsed Rightmove or Zoopla, you may have come across the term 'offers over' or OIEO. Confused? We've got you.
Read more
The Estate Agent comparison site
GetAgent Facebook iconGetAgent Twitter icon

For agents

  • Login
  • How to join

Get in touch

020 3608 6556

Our lines are closed

We are a company registered in England & Wales, company number 09428979.

Privacy policyTerms of use

Copyright © 2024 GetAgent Limited