**Rent at your peril**
The day of moving in (Saturday) I arrived at the property, the front door would not open despite multiple attempts, the agents were informed straight away and yet they refused to do anything until Monday. This resulted in me having to take all of my belongings back on the long journey home.
When I could finally get into the property (a week after initially planned and after beginning payment of rent) I noticed the problems were only just beginning. After inspecting the kitchen, which was dusty with debris from the builder’s work, we saw the knobs on the hob were melted down, this meant they were not easy to turn on or off.
Not only that but my sister noticed a blue light in the corner of her eye, the hob sparked by itself. There was a gas leak with no one even using the property, the hazard this posed to myself and my fellow tenants showed just how little the agents cared as after we called them to warn of the leak, there was no rush to fix the problem. The gas had to be turned off for days and when someone inspected the hob, they also noticed the oven was a major risk. The inspector condemned both the hob and oven – they needed to be replaced for our safety as the house could’ve easily gone up in flames when we were in it.
The next problem was the washing machine, it was filled with black, stinking mould. We logged this onto their ‘FixFlo’ system and it took them THREE weeks to sort this out, for three weeks we were unable to wash our clothes. When the issue of the mould was sorted, I put on my first wash. I was quite concerned by the noise of the washing machine but after 15 minutes of checking it was okay, I decided to go upstairs, only to come down 30 minutes later to the kitchen completely flooded. I called the emergency number on the agent’s website but the number was completely invalid. After turning off the washing machine at the fuse box I came to discover the flood was over an electrical socket which was turned on. The agents, when I finally talked to them on Monday, once again were not concerned, it took another week before the washing machine was fixed. It took them 7 months before they decided to replace the washing machine completely.
I also questioned them on the emergency number and they explained it was obsolete, yet it is still on their website with no alternative.
The amount of issues we had with this property and the agents are far too many so I will list the rest as they’re too long to go into detail:
• The bathroom door which was situated downstairs next to the kitchen would not shut, they took three weeks before they even looked at it, it was not fixed properly the whole time we were there.
• The microwave had metal exposed on the inside, we requested it to be replaced.
• It was not professionally cleaned when we moved in, stains all over every carpet.
• Shower was mouldy and nothing was done to clean it.
• Toilet seat was peeling, bubbling and dirty, never replaced even though it was reported multiple times.
• Outside pipe was broken, it would flood the concrete garden.
• The back window of the house was not lockable, this was an incredible risk to us as it led out onto a flat roof. It is a shock that we weren’t broken into however the house being the dump it was explains it.
• Their contracted builders also never completed their job on the flat roof and it flooded multiple times after rainfall.
We never got any compensation in fact they took away some of our deposit despite our disputes.
Avoid them at all costs, especially if you’re a student. You have been warned.
20th Sep 2020 (1 year ago)